Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Partner Survey and Meeting Lessons Learned

Nor Serocki

When starting to lay out our strategic and outreach plans, I put out a Google Forms "Partner Survey" to all of our stakeholders and project partners to get feedback on what the community wanted from the CISMA. I was worried while formatting long-term goals that my concepts for the CISMA (as a natural resource professional) would be radically different from local governments, road commissions, volunteers, and home owners. The survey was sent out to roughly 275 people via email in late November, and we gave respondents about a month (and a few reminder emails) to send in their answers. We had 48 responses, which was roughly a 17% response rate. 

In formatting the Survey, I wanted to keep things brief, but to produce information that covered all of the major topics. I've attached a version of the survey as it appeared to our partners. 

Based off of this data, I recently hosted an "extended partner meeting" that reached out to a wider range of partners than our typical working group meetings. We had 25 attendees, including Road Commission employees, city planners, and volunteers. After going over our draft strategic and outreach plans, as well as the survey data, we broke into small groups to discuss four key topics from the survey, which was really effective brainstorming and a list of events that our community members want and need. I walked away with a list of great ideas, and a much better concept of what needs to be done to make the CISMA an effective resource for the community. 

In building the SW X SW Corner CISMA, I think this information is going to be invaluable. I'm excited to use this information and feedback to adapt our program! 

partner survey.docx

Edited by Eleanor Serocki

I attended this "extended partner meeting" and I think this is a great idea! I was particularly impressed with the pie-charts and other analytics that Nor put together using the data from the survey's. Nor, if possible, could you post some of the those graphics for example?

All: Imagine conducting these surveys annually/bi-annually. Can we capture the impact of a CISMA

Thanks Ryan! I've attached another document that has a selection of the graphics from some of the questions. Questions 5, 6, and 8 all had multiple graphics, so I paired it down to the simpler questions as an example. In particular, it was nice to know what the group thought we should focus on, and what resources they needed from us. I'm hoping to use this information to find grant funding for projects, such as helping landowners actively treat, that we don't have funding for at the moment. If anyone would like a full copy of the graphics, I can try to send them along via email as well! 

partner_survey_results.docx

• 1 year later...

There were a few questions during the MISC meeting about the survey outputs, and unfortunately there really isn't an elegant read out on that.  I'm getting an error when trying to attach these files here, primarily due to size, but I'm happy to send them along if you shoot me an email (eleanor.serocki@macd.org). This includes the original output from Google Forms, as well as what I did to organize it (which, frankly, works for me, but is still a mess). If you would like, I can also send you the original survey, so you can see it as the respondents did. Google forms are basically just another Google service, accessible the same way docs or sheets are. The links can be sent out to anyone, even those that do not have Google accounts. I know there is some issue with government agencies and Google sometimes, but there are other services, like Survey Monkey, that can fulfill the same purpose. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/31/2017 at 12:23 PM, Ryan Wheeler said:

I attended this "extended partner meeting" and I think this is a great idea! I was particularly impressed with the pie-charts and other analytics that Nor put together using the data from the survey's. Nor, if possible, could you post some best synthetic oil for cars of the those graphics for example?

All: Imagine conducting these surveys annually/bi-annually. Can we capture the impact of a CISMA

you are right this a great idea. I was also learned a lesson from management of project. 

Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) defines lessons learned as the learning gained from the process of performing the project. ... The purpose of documenting lessons learned is to share and use knowledge derived from experience to: Promote the recurrence of desirable outcomes.

On 2/2/2017 at 8:40 AM, Nor Serocki said:

Thanks Ryan! I've attached another document that has a selection wild flower purple of the graphics from some of the questions. Questions 5, 6, and 8 all had multiple graphics, so I paired it down to the simpler questions as an example. In particular, it was nice to know what the group thought we should focus on, and what resources they needed from us. I'm hoping to use this information to find grant funding for projects, such as helping landowners actively treat, that we don't have funding for at the moment. If anyone would like a full copy of the graphics, I can try to send them along via email as well! 

partner_survey_results.docx

I have seen your attachment it's really informative and easy to understand .....thanks for it