Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Eurasian watermilfoil status and strategy

Michigan's Eurasian watermilfoil status and strategy document is finalized and posted on the state website!  This document provides in-depth information about Eurasian watermilfoil in the State of Michigan including identification, distribution, management, and control options.  Thanks Tom Alwin for picking up a partially complete document, wrangling through much review, and getting it across the finish line.  Please feel free to share this resource.

Go to the EWM page and scroll to the bottom, click on "status and strategy" http://www.michigan.gov/invasives/0,5664,7-324-68002_71240_73848-368765--,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on this...

Do any of the other CISMA's have experience in managing/treating Eurasian Watermilfoil? If so, what methods have you tried? 

CAKE CISMA was invited to the table on a project trying to manage EWM in the Crooked River near Petoskey. We received proposals from a couple professional environmental consulting companies to perform an herbicide treatment with follow up treatments in subsequent years. Recently we've had one individual from the Emmet Conservation District raise massive concerns over the use of herbicides in this treatment. I know there are a few alternatives to chemical control, but I had assumed they weren't viable or feasible in this scenario. I personally don't even know of a company that does Diver Assisted Suction Harvesting (DASH) of EWM in Michigan. Have any other CISMA's used DASH, or other methods aside from herbicide, that they could share some insight on?