Michigan's Invasive Species Community

FW: Water chestnut biocontrol - host specificity test plant list review request

Hi All:

we have obtained funding from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (through the NY Invasive Species Research Institute) to continue our work on developing biological control of water chestnut (Trapa natans).  We have also obtained an important permit form USDA/APHIS to bring the most promising biological control agent, the leaf beetle Galerucella birmanica, into quarantine at Cornell University.  

Our work over the next few years will be assessing the host specificity of G. birmanica and developing impact and assessment procedures should the insect be released.  The most important step at this point is finalizing the host specificity test plant list. We have developed a draft list (attached) and we are asking you to review the list and provide comments and feedback back to me by the end of April.  I also appreciate if you forward this document through your own networks or to individuals who may have expertise in aquatic plants or biological control.  Once we have received feedback we will create a revised document and then submit it to the Technical Advisory Group for the Introduction of Weed Biocontrol Agents (TAG) for approval. 

We greatly appreciate your help.  Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions or concerns.  Best wishes, Bernd

Dr. Bernd Blossey
Associate Professor
Department of Natural Resources
206 Fernow Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
, USA
phone: +607.227.1572
fax: +607.255.0349
web: www.invasiveplants.net

Host specificity testing for Galerucella birmanica.docx