Michigan's Invasive Species Community

How are local municipalities handling Knotweed?

Nature Hannah

I'm going to be giving a talk about how world governments are handling Japanese Knotweed and passing on recommendations for prevention here in Michigan.

I'm wondering if any of you can tell me about any interactions you've had with local municipalities. Are they curious? Resistant? Concerned?

Many of the people I talk to don't realize it can and will damage City Infrastructure, so they are taken aback.

I'm also going to be working on a talk about how Japanese knotweed can be the perfect vehicle for Conservation Districts and CISMAS to make contact with municipalities, showing them you're there for them, and teaching people the general basics of ALL Invasive Species. ("Right plant, right place... etc)

Any experiences, advice, and insight is welcome!

• 2 months later...

In northwest lower Michigan, it varies a lot by municipality.  Some have stepped right up and funded treatment, others are considering ordinances, others aren't interested, and we'll need to work more with them in the future.

Generally speaking, you're right on track; showing the damage it causes, linking it to "home" and money, and showing that you (the CISMA) are there for them, so they don't have to be experts!