Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Not sure if this is the right place, so feel free to tell me if it isn't. But I know of some people dealing with heavy swallow wart in their hay fields- to the point where they cannot farm that land. They have tried spraying, mowing, tilling, etc. all by recommendation but nothing is working so far. Any suggestions or ideas of where they can get help?

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, am dealing with HEAVY swallow wort infestation. In isolated patches I've had success with hand cutting the seed pods from the top of the vine (dispose of in trash) and covering the area with lots of leaves. However, I have about an acre of heavily infested field. I brush hogged it last year just to keep the seed pods from opening and spreading. This year I'm going to cut it short again, and then tarp as much as I can, for as long as I can. I figure "hot rotting" can't hurt at this point since nothing else seems to work and I don't have thousands of dollars to hire help.

20170715_190229.jpg

Garlon 3A works well on swallow-wort. It should be treated in late spring or early summer to maximize effectiveness. Once seed pods develop they need to be removed and black bagged before the plant is sprayed. Garlon is a little more expensive, but won't kill your grass. Consult with your local CISMA or land conservancy for more detailed help.