Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Bamboo Treatment Advice for Landowners

We've found 3 patches of Bamboo in our area in the last few months, and are looking to help the landowners find the best way to take care of it in their area. For many of the other species, the state has their publications, which we use as a baseline, but the best document I've found for Bamboo is out of Clemson. Do you have any suggestions for homeowner treatment? Do you have any great handouts/instructions? 

Luckily, there's not THAT MUCH bamboo statewide, but unfortunately that means not many of us have much experience with it.  I'd say that guide from Clemson is pretty accurate (dig what you can, DON'T COMPOST, use herbicides), from what I know of bamboo issues, but perhaps @Phyllis Higman or  @Drew Rayner have some other ideas, since we have the bamboo in West Michigan that we all saw at the field trip?

Good luck, share what you learn!

I spoke some with Drew this weekend and last week, and major issue we had was with exactly what people would do with anything that had been dug, especially in larger areas. Because of this, and especially because of the size of her stand, I did end up redacting some of the information on digging. The land owner I was working with in particular traces the start of the stand to a pot that rooted, and it is fairly substantial now. She has been regularly cutting back the stand this summer, which does seem to be working, but it also looks like it is "running" in the area. I was really impressed with the die back in the area where she had been cutting repeatedly, but there was also a huge amount of biomass that was building up.

My biggest concern with "newer" species is that I end up doing what a lot of homeowners do: I google it to look at the resources available. But, unlike most homeowners, I have outside resources (such as other professionals, this forum, etc.) to double check with. For instance, when looking up information for bamboo, no two suggestions were the same and, since there was nothing local, there was no clear choice of what was the "right" method.