Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Monitoring Invasive Species

McKenzi Bergmoser

Hello,

Do other CISMAs have a Monitoring Template that they are willing to share? Species specific and general invasive species monitoring plans are both encouraged.

LSC CISMA is currently most focused on phragmites along road right-of-ways, drains, retention ponds and adjacent areas. However, monitoring phragmites in marshes, Great Lakes/ inland lakes, and monitoring of other invasive species would be useful for future efforts.

Thanks in advance,

McKenzi Bergmoser

The Phragmites Adaptive Management Framework (PAMF) out of USGS is working to come up with a universal monitoring method for the marsh/Great Lakes areas.  More information on how they implement that method is here

I was part of the field team for a project that implemented CMU's Coastal Wetland Monitoring Program protocols to monitor pre and post treatment Phragmites up in Saginaw Bay circa 2014/15/16. This gives really, really detailed, species level detail on vegetation regeneration and diversity, but also is super time consuming and frankly, not made for phragmites invaded wetlands. It gets good data, but way more than is needed for management, and at a cost that really isn't in line with the non-academic work I've done. That said, I'm pretty much always willing to talk about that work, and some of the cost/benefits in line with that.  

I know that PAMF, along with Laura Bourgeau-Chavez at the Michigan Tech Research Institute (lchavez@mtu.edu), Phyllis Higman at MNFI (higman@msu.edu), and the Saginaw Bay CISMA were working on new methodologies to improve that use. 

This summer we've also been doing some roadside surveys in our service area, utilizing township maps and GPS, which makes it more user-friendly for our Road Commission crews, since we are using the same tools they keep in their truck!