Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Flowering Rush - Treatment demonstration and workshop Oct 4

Hello all,

A partner of the Oakland County CISMA is hosting a treatment demonstration and training workshop this coming Tuesday, October 4th from 10:00-12:00 in Oakland County. I know this is last minute, but on the off chance you are able to attend, please see the details below. Thanks!

----------

Flowering rush (Butomus umbellatus) is an aquatic invasive species in Michigan, where it invades emergent wetland and lake shores. This perennial aquatic herbaceous plant grows from 1-4ft high on an erect stem in shallow water. It also grows submerged in deeper water, without producing flowers. Flowering rush can be difficult to identify when not in flower, as it resembles many native emergent plants, such as common bulrush.

Flowering rush has proven difficult to treat chemically, and mechanical removal can promote spreading of the plant if not done with proper training and care. In this demonstration, participants will learn proper techniques for hand-removing Flowering Rush and containing the spread of propagules. This demonstration will include a discussion of Best Management Practices (BMPs) which you can use to develop a treatment protocol for your area.

Date: Tuesday, October 4th

Time: 10:00AM-12:00PM

Location: Dollar Lake, 2170 Cass Lake Rd, Keego Harbor, MI 48320

This is just north of the Orchard Lake Rd intersection; in the shopping center on the west side of Cass Lake Rd. Dollar Lake is immediately behind the shopping center. Note that there is a road closure further north on Cass Lake Rd involving detours through neighborhoods, and heavy traffic is expected so approaching from Orchard Lake Rd is recommended. Gather at the north end of the parking lot.

Attire and equipment to bring: Casual attire, there will be an opportunity to be get hands on experience without going in the lake. If interested in this, wear clothes that can get dirty and wet.

Target audience: Lake Managers and professionals, volunteers and volunteer organizations, homeowners, government agencies, treatment contractors.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tyler,

I hope the workshop went well and am sorry I missed it. Were there any handouts or presentations you would be able to share from this event? We are just starting to see reports of flowering rush in this part of the Southwestern part of the state, and I would like to take the winter to look everything over before hopefully starting up more concentrated efforts in the spring on this plant.

Thanks!