Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Searching for Giant Knotweed Information to Give to the Public

Hello All!

I hope everyone is having a productive beginning to their field season.  KISMA has been very busy battling knotweed (both species), wild parsnip, knapweed, etc in the great white North! 

I was wondering if any of you had informative pamphlets/handouts that focus on giant knotweed.  We have several different ones which talk about Japanese knotweed, but none that give any details about giant knotweed specifically.  If any of you have some you would be willing to share, KISMA would really appreciate being allowed to hand them out to our private landowners.

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam, ISN usually just uses the Japanese knotweed ones.  All the treatment is the same, and the ID isn't so different that most Regular Joes/Josephines would get confused.

That said, we're working to develop outreach materials that address both to be more accurate.  They'll still focus on Japanese knotweed, since that's the one that's illegal, and just kind of group in giant knotweed (because its offspring when hybridized with Japanese is illegal!).  I'll keep you posted. :) 

• 3 weeks later...