Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Treatment Notification Posting

I am looking for new ideas on how to post notification signs on properties after they have received an herbicide treatment. I'm curious what methods other folks use. In the case of phragmites coastal treatments, we currently use a laminated sign on a stake that we can post on the beach to warn people walking the beach to stay out of the treated area. The issue I have with this method is that my service area covers 4.5 million acres and it becomes inefficient to have to drive and back track to remove the signs the next day. They also don't look the nicest. What do you do?

That's what we do too, except we don't even laminate.  They don't look great, but we often don't drive around to get them--when they're on private lands, we often request that the landowner grab them after a week or so.

For larger projects, we have "yard signs" that are up during our treatment, and sometimes we leave them up longer.  We definitely got back for those, if we leave them up.  They don't contain the legal treatment information (we also post those signs), just a general "invasive species management happening, and ISN is doing it" sort of thing to help answer questions about why plants are dying.

We'd love to hear if people have thought of better ways!

Most of the signs that we've posted have been for partner municipalities for Japanese Knotweed. We too laminate sheets and staple them to stakes, but in this case we leave them for a while, both to explain why the municipality is allowing this "unsightly" plant get out of control, and to why it's being sprayed later. These don't contain legal treatment information either, but have contact information changed for each area to include the local DPW director/etc for each municipality in addition to the CISMA. Because these are being left up for longer, we put a little bit more effort into the design, both to use them as a warning and an educational opportunity. 

Knotweed Treatment in Process.pdf

We have a small, laminated signs that we post during the treatments. I find its easiest (and the signs usually last) to leave them until we come back for our treatment monitoring plots. That way, we're making the drive anyway to analyze our treatment efficacy, and we can grab the sign at that point. Two birds, one car ride!