Michigan's Invasive Species Community

Finding / mapping / treating MISIN sites

The Saginaw Bay CISMA is in the process of putting our summer work plan together.  We are using MISIN to find sites that we are going to verify, identify, manage and monitor.  The problem is MISIN has nothing about the actual site other than LAT/LONG.  We are posting in the forum to find ways people have found the property owners using the information out of MISIN.  Our plan is going to use county GIS data to find the sites but this will be very time intensive.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kip

I certainly do not know the details on how other groups gather this information but on the MISIN side of things...The treatment tracking application that we have been working on may come in handy for situations like this where you might need the property owner information. We have 2 features (site polygon / site point) that will contain attribute data for the property owner information (provided by the user). This way people will be able to search for a misin record and see if there is a corresponding treatment site with the property owner information. Right now MISIN can only geo-locate an address/address range but not information pertaining to the actual parcel.

Kip, I know the struggle.  Finding, contacting, and securing landowner permissions is the most time intensive part of WRISC's treatment work.  Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to speed that up.  When WRISC has to discover ownership of an invasive population it usually involves a combination of site visits (particularly if the site was reported a long time ago and the information isn't correct), phone calls, emails, plat books, GIS sites, etc. Often when invasives are first reported to MISIN the land ownership is unknown to begin with, and it isn't until a CISMA comes along to do treatments that anyone is collecting that data.  I will say though, counties with GIS landowner information make things MUCH easier.  Not only can you see where the property lines are, but we've had a couple instances of Japanese Knotweed spreading in urban areas, and with GIS landowner information we send letters out to entire blocks looking for who has it on their property and offering help with treatment. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2016 at 9:07 AM, Andrew Laws BCK-CISMA said:

Hello Claire,

I was wondering if you had a timeline for the MISIN treating app? 

Andrew,

It is in the testing phase right now. We'd like to get it out there but it seems like it may end up getting rolled out towards the end of the year at our annual partner meeting in November/December. That way everyone will be aware of it starting next field season. I will check on though because I am not 100% sure what the roll out plan is. We will be able to add past data in so once it is rolled out, any treatment data that was collected this year or in previous years will be added to the database.

Bare in mind, it will not a smartphone app like we have for reporting. This will be just web based seeing that users will need to generate polygons and such. There may be an app down the road but there are no plans at the moment. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to comment.  We have started adding a little more information to MISIN when first reporting a site.  If it is in the right-of-way we are adding ROW to our notes along with the direction for which side of the road.  If it is on private property we are adding the address and the distance from the road.  These will help us determine ownership in the future.  These comments are being done for road surveys through our counties.  On private property we would put the entire address in the notes.

FYI